Thursday, June 21, 2012

Not Quite What I Planned...

... and that's ok.

Something that I'm constantly reminded of is that things don't always go according to plan.

One of the most unplanned consequences of having a baby is losing my mind (it's just gonzo) - case in point these two absentminded experiences:

1. After an hour of grocery shopping, a cart full of groceries and loading up the conveyor belt at the register I realized that I didn't have my wallet - so frustrating.

2. While attempting to get myself, my baby, and my stuff in the car on another outing I managed to get the car started and then lock myself out - leaving me and Mason stranded in a parking lot (luckily he wasn't in the car)

And then tonight while attempting to work on this adorable idea I had to document Mason's growth with his footprints, this is what we got:

I was so bummed as this was on the actual canvas and not something we can just re-do, it didn't quite go along with what I had envisioned of this perfect creation - but then Cameron said - "Oh well, that's just Mason."

I had to smile. That is just Mason - never quite cooperative but still adorable. 

That's kind of the mindset I have to have as a mom, "Oh well, that's just...(insert whatever is going on)." The adjustment to this new life is not quite what I planned, but that's ok. Each new experience - the good, the bad, and the ugly - are all just part of this mom gig.

Luckily things tend to usually work out, even if in a different way than expected: the grocery store saved my cart so I could run home, Amy lives near by and was willing to come save her absentminded sister-in-law (THANK YOU), and I have an optimistic husband that helps me roll with things.

You never know quite what you are going to get with kids, or life with kids, and isn't that the beauty of it? I might not always see that in the moment, but they make for good stories and just depict real life - and I like that. 

Real life with it's ups and downs is a far more interesting than any perfect fairy tale.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i love your blog posts

kaelee said...

I can't imagine how people get those newborn hand-prints on Christmas ornaments or in little plaster molds. Feet-prints are hard enough! Absent-minded is an understatement over here. I can't remember anything. You're not alone.

Maga said...

Glad you can laugh at your bad moments! Thanks for blogging about them!!

Shannon said...

This is such a beautiful post, Jill. I know one day you'll come back and read this and be so glad you recorded it all. Love you!